Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Fuller House: Just Another Unnecessary Sequel?


By now, I'm sure you've all heard the news that Netflix has come out with a sequel to the show Full House, which first premiered nearly thirty years ago. From my previous review of Grandfathered, I'm sure you also know what a big fan of Full House I am. So naturally, I could barely contain my excitement as I eagerly awaited the day when the season would be released. However, I failed to consider the fact that it could be a disappointing attempt to draw out a show.

Fuller House starts out with the classic Full House theme song, and a panning to the Golden Gate Bridge, just how each episode of Full House began. The camera then moves to the outside of the famous Full House house, where the Tanner sisters grew up. In turn, each cast member makes an entrance into the kitchen, to the applause and cheers of the live studio audience. Of course, John Stamos and Lori Loughlin don't look a day older than they did thirty years ago.

The audience now learns about what has happened in the last thirty years to each character. Stephanie, the middle daughter, is now a globetrotting DJ; Kimmy Gibbler the eccentric family frenemy is now an almost-divorced event planner and mom; and Danny, Uncle Jessie, Aunt Becky, and Uncle Joey are planning on moving onto bigger and better things in Vegas and LA. It becomes clear that the show will be focusing on DJ and her three sons, who have moved back in with Danny after the death of her husband. Now that almost a year has passed, they're preparing to be on their own again, and Danny is planning to sell the new family home to DJ.

At this point, the new credits roll, with split-screen recreations of the old casts' iconic poses to a revamped version of the theme song, sung by Carly Rae Jepsen. Throughout the episode, it becomes clear that DJ, Stephanie, and Kimmy are assuming the roles that Danny, Jessie, and Joey had during Full House. DJ is raising her kids as a single parent; Stephanie is a wild child, just like Uncle Jessie; and Kimmy is a comedic relief character, just like Joey.

This pilot mainly focused on catching the audience up on the lives of the characters, and introducing new ones. The adults" of Full House make their guest appearance to pass the torch on to the next generation.

This episode was very meh for me. It definitely played the nostalgia card, with plenty of nods and winks to the original. The most noteworthy being the infamous Where's Michelle?" deadpan. However, something just seemed a bit off, and I was kind of disappointed by the episode. However, since the first episode mainly focused on establishing the characters, I will definitely be watching the second episode, to see if the plot gets any better.

Relax mom, I already know the bad words. Darn, booger, and Donald Trump." -Jackson

4 comments:

  1. I have actually watched the whole season. While it isn't as good as Full House it still isn't a terrible show. I believe we just set expectations for the show they couldn't be met

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard it wasn't that good from a lot of reviews I read. I probably won't it haha just because I don't have time for that- I'm still trying to work through House of Cards

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was planning on watching Fuller House over Spring Break. I'm a little disappointed to hear it's not that good, but that won't stop me from checking it out. To be honest, I'm not surprised to hear this because a lot of times when shows or movies try to revamp themselves, it's almost never as good as the original.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard mixed reviews, but I did have a friend watch an episode near me while I was doing homework and she couldn't stop laughing so I think it'll be alright. It's not going to be Full House, so we have to treat it like a new show, because the original was one of a kind. I'm looking forward to watching it.

    ReplyDelete