Thursday, February 4, 2016

Scream Queens: Horrifically Funny?


Don't be fooled by the scary title or the fact that the show is produced by the same guy who created American Horror Story! Scream Queens makes fun of anything and everything, from everyone's obsession with pumpkin spice lattes, to our generation's inability to be separated from our technology. It also pokes fun at stereotypical sorority girls, a topic that we as college students have heard about all too often.

The hour and a half pilot episode started with a flashback to 1995. A Kappa Kappa Tau pledge, who thought she'd been hiding nothing more than the Freshman 15 underneath her dress, gives birth in a bathtub upstairs, while a full out college party rages on downstairs. Her fellow sisters are disgusted as one asks, Who told you you could have a baby here tonight?". They then decide that taking care of their friend would have to wait since dancing to their jam Waterfalls is obviously way more important. By the time that they return, they find their friend dead, in the bathtub.

The show then fast-fowards 20 years to 2015 when we're introduced to the present-day queen of Kappa Kappa Tau, Chanel Oberlin (played by Emma Roberts), and her minions Chanel No. 2 (played by Ariana Grande), Chanel No. 3 (played by Billie Lourd), and Chanel No. 5 (played by Abigail Breslin). Despite being the most exclusive sorority on campus, all is not well in the Kappa House. The new Dean, Dean Munsch (played by Jamie Lee Curtis), is convinced that Chanel was involved in an awful spray tan incident, which left the last Chanel burned and disfigured. To punish Chanel, Dean Munsch announces that any students that are interested can become a Kappa pledge.

Every villain has their superhero counterpart, and Grace (played by Skyler Samuels) is the Snow White to the Evil Queen, Chanel. Grace and her best friend Zayday (played by Keke Palmer), plan on rushing Kappa Kappa Tau together. However, Chanel can't stand the fact that anyone has the opportunity to pledge her precious sorority, and plans to fake a death in order to scare away all the pledges. Much to her surprise, her plan doesn't go as planned and things go terribly wrong.
Grace doesn't like what she's seen and decides to find out the truth about Chanel.

Although the plot line makes the show seem like purely a horror show, the pure stupidity of the characters, and awesome one liners made it the perfect mix of mildy scary horror and comedy. The Chanels fill every aspect of the "typical sorority girl". Despite the length of the episode, I was never bored. The casting was also very well done and I had multiple Ohmygosh! What other show do I know this actor/actress from?" moments. It was also great seeing singers such as Ariana Grande and Nick Jonas branch out into acting during this episode. If you're looking for a unique comedy show, this is the show for you!

Chanel Oberlin: She's dead."
Grace: Well of course she's dead, you just burned her face off!"
Chanel Oberlin: Shut up! You don't die from getting your face burned off."


4 comments:

  1. This was a fantastic post! I wasn't sure about this show, but I definitely want to start watching it now! I like how you added the video in the beginning, and the I had to hold back my laughter from that gif! I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post and the trailer made me really interested in watching the show. I have seen the commercials but never knew exactly what it was about. I will be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My roommate and I actually just finished season 1 of this show last weekend! And I can say I don't regret investing my time on this. It's definitely a funny show, one that highlights the pitfalls of our generation, as well as pokes fun at sorority girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not really much into TV actually; if I'm in front of a screen I'm usually watching a movie. I feel that I'm often completely uninformed about modern television shows, so this blog gave me some insight on a new one! It was very well written and quite funny too. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete